Communications Manager (80-100%)
Plan International is a leading global non-profit organization that stands for girls’ empowerment and children’s rights. Plan International Schweiz (CHNO) was founded in 2006 and is one of 21 National Organisations (NOs) under the Plan Federation. With a Country Strategy (2020-2024) that aligns to its Global Strategy, CHNO’s program interventions focus on Education, Economic Empowerment and Protection of children, adolescent youth and particularly girls. Plan International Switzerland is fully committed to the safeguarding of all children and young people from all forms of violence and abuse.
Contract Type – Permanent
Reporting to – Head of Marketing
Responsible for – Manage communications / PR of Plan International Switzerland
To lead the implementation of CHNO’s Communication strategy by taking an integrated approach to communications and its support to marketing, program advocacy & quality and strategic partnership building, we are looking for a Communications Manager (80 % / 100%) to be based at our Zürich office from November 1, 2021 or per agreement.
The position strives to increase and strengthen the public image and brand of Plan International Switzerland as the go to organisation for children’s rights and gender equality in all its internal and external communications through social, print & digital media engagements. S/he reports to the Head of Marketing and is expected to have a strong working relationship with the Program and Partnerships teams.
The role is responsible to develop key advocacy messages, success stories and leveraging our global brand strength to mobilise support and raise awareness for girls’ equality, in Switzerland and externally, with donors and the whole Plan International federation. It is expected you have strong networks and contact points with leading media agencies in Switzerland, that can be tapped into, when needed.
You would have a passion for gender equality, along with superior communication, writing and public speaking skills and the ability to translate complex issues into a level appropriate for the general population and stakeholders.
The post holder should have knowledge of the non-profit sector in the Swiss context and have at least 3 years’ working experience in communications with a degree in the relevant field and be fully proficient in German and English with intermediate French skills.
- Development and implementation of the Communications Strategy to promote Plan International’s visibility in Switzerland, strengthening advocacy, programme effectiveness, strategic partnerships and fundraising opportunities.
- Oversee and drive communications, including social media & public relations opportunities, working closely with internal and external stakeholders, developing compelling stories, managing communication challenges, and ensuring results.
- Lead the production of high quality, well researched, and well written products (in a variety of mediums). This may include, but not limited to: press releases, speeches, newsletters, annual reports, success stories, tweets, blogs and social media posts, etc.
- Responsible for organizing and managing the events calendar, leveraging national and international moments to maximize communications and advocacy opportunities e.g. International Day of the Girl (IDG).
- Facilitating media interviews and act as spokesperson when required; provide strategic guidance to the National Director and Management Team on critical messaging and talking points
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee planning, development, and execution of communications to donors, media, and other stakeholders
- Networking and build relationships with Plan ambassadors and influencers
- Support Head of Marketing & Fundraising in strategic planning, budgeting, controlling, and reporting activities
- Support and advise the National Director and internal stakeholders on communication opportunities and key events.
- Oversee online / social media communication strategy, implementation and analytics, ensuring contribution to brand awareness
Awareness and Representation
- Represent CHNO’s interests in technical groups and forums where required e.g. Global and local communication forums
- Commitment to Plan’s position on promoting girls’ rights and gender equality and integrating this into all aspects of work.
- Commitment to safeguarding and to being confident and competent in meeting safeguarding responsibilities
Level of responsibility for safeguarding children and young people:
A police security clearance check will be required.
Level of Budgetary Responsibility:
Responsible for minimal income and expenditure budgets
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list. Your job description may be subject to change.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion and able to demonstrate how you have contributed to advancing diversity and inclusion in your work and personal life
- Knowledge of and a commitment to girls’ rights and gender equality in Switzerland and internationally
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to Plan International values and to feminist leadership principles and role model these in all aspects of your work
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity, capacity to include and empower others.
- Comfortable working with others, as part of a team or as a team leader. Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters; approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
Skills & Experience
- Degree in communication, journalism or a related field
- Solid professional working experience in social media, public/media relations and / or in a communications role
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with a proficiency in German & English and intermediate French
- Excellent publication skills that include proofreading, copyediting, and knowledge of design/layout and strong visual skills.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with a variety of audiences, including local community stakeholders, service providers, members of the public and local officials
- Knowledge in audio-visual communications and production, Typo 3, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop
- You are results-oriented and a team player, with superb conceptual skills who is efficient and can deliver results
- Quick learner with positive & can-do attitude and a high level of self-management
- Hands-on personality and strategic thinker able to manage stakeholder expectations and work with people from all across the organization
To express interest in this exciting opportunity to join a dynamic organisation and a team of passionate people please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com before September 26, 2021. For questions, please contact Jochen Stark, Head of Marketing @ 044 288 90 53.